Skip to main content

Roasted beetroot risotto



Tonight was my night to cook in our little rota. Cathy told me after I'd planned the meal that the one food she really dislikes in beetroot….oops. 

I decided that rather than boiling the beetroots to soften them for the recipe I would bake them to make them a little sweeter and (hopefully) more palatable for a beetroot-hater. After clearing her plate she announced that she now liked beetroot. Phew. 

The quantities feed five - adjust accordingly!

To make roast beetroot risotto you will need:
3 uncooked beetroots
Splash of oil
1 red onion (chopped)
1 garlic clove (crushed)
2 glasses of red wine
2 vegetable stock cubes
A kettle of water (as much as is needed! Approx 1.5L)
450g risotto
1 tbsp butter
Handful of grated parmesan


Preheat the oven to 200C. Peel and slice the beetroot into half if little and quarters if large. Wrap in silver foil, drizzle with some oil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

In the meantime, soften the red onion in some oil. Throw in the garlic before adding the risotto rice - keep stirring it through the onion and garlic until it goes transparent (this should take about 2-3 minutes). Pour in 2 glasses of wine and keep stirring around. Crumble in the two stock cubes and top up with water as/when required.

When the beetroot are cooked remove from the oven and get onto a board so they can start to cool. When you're able to handle them, grate the beetroot and add to the pan as you do so. 

Your risotto is ready when creamy and the rice has lost its bite - on the hob in the accommodation I'm living in this took close to 45 minutes. Risotto needs love and attention so you do have to keep watching, stirring and adding liquid the whole time. When ready remove from the heat and stir through the butter and a handful of parmesan.

Serve with a little grating of parmesan and a green salad. 

Comments

  1. mmmm This looks so yum - when are you home for Christmas? We need to plan a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'll be home from December 19th I think - feast sounds perfect <3 x x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chilli chocolate birthday cake

On Wednesday it was my lovely friend Danny's birthday. I was invited to spend a long weekend with him and my favourite person, Emily, in Swansea. Danny's only request for his birthday cake was that it was "new flavours", which led to me and Emily baking Danny a chilli chocolate cake until 1am on Saturday morning.  Little duckling sheltering from the Welsh weather The cake was enjoyed on Saturday evening with everyone and it was super - the chilli isn't spicy at all but just gives a depth to the chocolate flavour that makes the cake taste extra special. The icing doesn't have any chilli in either so it just makes for a lovely celebration cake! It's important to use a good quality chocolate with a high cocoa content as it is so much more delicious than a cheap slab of chocolate; this cake deserves that sort of quality. The recipe is based upon one you bake in a  Le Creuset  but we instead baked it in a cake tin and it turned out perfectly. By al...

Frozen yogurt breakfast bowl

I feel as if Instagram and Pinterest are awash with photos of breakfast bowls containing ingredients I just can't get my hands on in Wales (mail order acai berries anyone?) I did want to jump on the trend bandwagon however and so have been enjoying frozen yogurt breakfast bowls instead (sprinkled with some  homemade granola of course - this batch has cashews rather than ginger in though).  I make this in my smoothie maker - anything with the ability to blitz frozen fruit will do. I can thoroughly recommend this as a breakfast to get you kick-started in spring! To make 1 portion of frozen yogurt breakfast bowl you will need: A handful of frozen berries - the major supermarkets do this really well 1 banana 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt A splash of milk From experience of multiple attempts at this, you need to order the ingredients in the blender so that the banana and yogurt are nearest the blade (to create a kind of paste) with the frozen berries ...

Sri Lanka

Apologies for the lack of posts recently; just got back from a month backpacking around Sri Lanka with three friends, sampling the incredible curries, fresh juices and street food this amazing country offers...as well as fitting in a bit of culture (when we weren't planning where our next meal was going to come from!) We had a   brilliant   time and I've got lots of ideas buzzing round my head at the moment for things to pop on here. As well as ideas from Sri Lanka though it is my sister's birthday coming up in a fortnight, which means I'm going to need to knock up a gluten-free cake of some description...so that will be making an appearance on here too I'm sure.